Hotel Duval – Historic, Iconic Hotel in Florida’s Capital City

The first private owner of the property paid only $125 for the site in 1833. The property was once owned by Governor Bloxham, Florida’s 13th and 17th Governor, and he used the space as his garden behind his home.

Hotel Duval circa 1950

The Hotel Duval was the place to see-and-be-seen in the quickly-growing capital city of Florida.

In 1950, the hotel was built in only 188 working days from ground-breaking. Duval Hotel, named for Joseph and Mary Duval, opened on March 30, 1951, and quickly earned a reputation as the ‘place to see-and-be-seen’ in Tallahassee.

The original lobby was home to a drug store, beauty shop, and barber shop. The lobby has since been home to the Lafayette Room and Town House, the dining room, as well as a very modern, turquoise piano bar, LeRoc Lounge (namesake of our street-level bistro and coffee shop).

Until the modern renovation in 2009, the building only had seven floors. This floor has had a variety of purposes, including: American Broadcasting Company (ABC)’s affiliate radio station WTNT; the rumored secret lounge “Golden Key Lounge/Club,” supposedly the site of many underground political deals; and the living quarters of the hotel general manager Bob Riedel from 1954-1969 .

 

In 1970, the property was donated to Florida State University and was used as a dormitory and office space. Nine years later, it was purchased by Radisson and, after significant renovations, opened in 1985 as the Tallahassee Radisson. It became the Park Plaza hotel in 2005 and, two years later, was purchased by Hunter & Harp who invested millions of dollars into renovations and the addition of an eighth floor. The 2009 re-grand opening of the new Hotel Duval was an extraordinary event in downtown Tallahassee.

Magazine Clip of Hotel Duval

“For the beverage of your choice, gather ’round the turquoise piano bar in the LE ROC. It’s festive – fun-filled – and altogether delightful.” (magazine clip)

Hotel Duval became a proud member of the Autograph Collection Hotels, an affiliate of Marriott International, in 2010. Three years later the hotel was purchased by the full-service hospitality company Schulte Hospitality Group based in Louisville  Kentucky.